Sunday 19 July 2015

Jezebel by Justin Hamlin


"Jenny Anderson; fifteen, attending grammar school, looking to avenge the murder of her best friend by the local serial killer.

JEZEBEL; a demon with a bad case of amnesia - and she's possessing Jenny. Two girls sharing the same body...

Follow Jezebel and Jenny from the nuclear-blasted wasteland of Nevada to the sweaty dancefloor of Apres Moi nightclub, from the bitching of the schoolyard to the ruined houses and Mayan temples where young men are sacrificed, towards the bunkers and torture chambers of the demonic conspiracy and possible revenge and redemption.

Brutal, gripping, horrific and blackly funny - dare you read Jezebel?"

I considered the Samurai to be a more 'commercial' novel, but Jezebel is the one I'm most proud of. Even though some of the sadistic violence may cause some readers to give up in disgust. I always make sure to put my characters through the wringer - like life, there are victories and defeats, and strivings against incredible odds. The other possible point that might put people off is that it's narrated by a female demon. A spirit that possesses people (female people, in the case of Jezebel) and causes them to do bad things. Some folks are scared of that stuff.

The reason I'm proud of Jezebel because it is original. If anyone else has written a novel like this, it's news to me. Admittedly, there is one sentence ("Now I know who I am") that comes from Ray Bradbury's excellent short story 'The One Who Waits'. I've sort of homaged Ray by calling a minor character after him, although as far as I know nobody's picked up on either point.

Jezebel is available on Smashwords, although if you have a Kindle device, I would recommend the British, U.S. American, Canadian or Australian Amazon websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment