Saturday 18 July 2015

Conan the Barbarian by Robert E. Howard


This is the one I tried submitting to 'Free eBooks' but they butchered the formatting, which led me to try it on my own blog instead.

Robert E. Howard wasn't the highest-quality writer in the world but he sure was entertaining, and as far as I'm concerned that's what matters most. He was also prolific; there's a staggering 334,000 words in here along with the (anachronistic) picture of the Sutton Hoo mask on the cover. Unfortunately, I can't include 'The God in the Bowl', 'The Black Stranger' or 'The Vale of Lost Women' in editions available outside the U.K, due to copyright reasons. However, if you want the complete version, get in contact and I'll happily email you one. If you've got a U.K. email address, of course.

The rest of the stories are all in chronological order according to Dale Rippke, whom I would like to thank for working that out, along with Project Gutenberg for making the text available. Naturally, anything not by Robert E. Howard has been omitted.

Go here to get the .zip file, When you download it, it will appear in your 'Downloads' folder. When you see the 'zipped' folder, right-click on it and select 'Extract all'. You'll get an .azw3 file, an .epub file and a large .mobi file. I find the .azw3 best for my Kindle device and the .mobi best for Kindle for PC. Most other e-readers prefer .epub files. You, of course can use them however you like.

I've made this as well-presented and as easy to navigate as I can, with a proper linked contents page, chapter stops etc. Mind the extra Contents page though. Damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment